Sunday, September 12, 2010

Not about me

Sometimes I forget why I am on this planet.  It was great to have a reminder today though.
I really do love meeting new people, getting a great outfit, surfing the internet for a good bargain or perusing Anthropologie, finding great shoes and jewelry (especially big, dangly earrings), crafting, sewing, coffee, going to lunch with friends, my husband!!!, my sweet baby boy!!!, and the list could go on and on and on.
But do you know what?  None of those things are the reason why I am here, on this earth.  You see the real reason I am here is to tell other people about God and His love for us.  He sent His Son to die on a cross so that we would be able to live forever with Him.  I look at my sweet sweet little baby boy and I just love him to pieces.  I have tried to imagine putting myself in God's shoes for just a moment.  What if I had to allow Caleb to be murdered, hung on a cross while people made fun of him?  What's even worse is what if he was killed in the place of a thief, a liar, or murderer?  My sweet innocent son, killed in the place of every person that had ever sinned.
That is exactly what God allowed Jesus to do for all of us.  No one is perfect, but God loves us anyways.  He loves us on the days that we have ignored Him, He loves us when we live a life that doesn't honor Him.  
Jesus died for each of us...no matter what we have done and what we will do.
If you have never experienced the peace and the joy that Christ brings, it is available to each and every one of us.  If you aren't sure where you will go when you die, Christ is begging you to accept His free gift of salvation so that you can come and live with Him in Heaven forever.
If you aren't sure today about your future, all God asks of us is to believe that He is the one true God and that He sent His Son to die for all of our sins.  If you will just ask Him to forgive you of your sins and come into your life so that you can spend forever with Him, He will forever be in your heart and in your life.  Once you accept Christ as your personal Savior, there is no way you can ever lose that gift of salvation.  He knows that we are human and that we are going to make mistakes for the rest of our lives.  He loves us anyways.  All He wants from us is for us to try our very best to live a life that honors and pleases Him and to share His love with other people so that they too can know the joy and the peace that He brings.
God wants us to have fun and enjoy this world that He created...and as my friends here would say, I am sure that He enjoys smiling with us when we find a great pair of shoes.  God loves to see His children happy, He truly does but I am also grateful for the reminder today from my pastor that this life isn't all about me.  Rather, it is about sharing HIS love with those around us.
I am so thankful for a Savior that loves me everyday no matter how badly I hurt Him.  He forgives us infinitely and His love for us is more than anything we could ever fathom.
These are the lyrics and the video from a song I like to sing in church...when I think about every word of this song, I just sit and cry...Christ really does love us this much.



How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocing voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that helf Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I knoww that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast inJesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

4 comments:

Amy @Lovin this Life said...

Beautifully spoken...and, AMEN!
~Amy~

Ashley said...

LOVE THIS POST :) WELL SAID!

Ashley said...

LOVE THIS POST :) WELL SAID!!!

JG said...

Love this!!!