Thursday, July 16, 2009

Content like a baby

As much as I cringe some nights when I hear little Caleb crying out from his crib, all I have to do is reach down to pick up that warm, squishy bundle of fussiness, and all my frustration is gone. I could just stand there, in the middle of the night and kiss him forever (except that he would much rather just eat and go back to bed). He is at such a sweet stage right now. Seth and I will find him staring at us sometimes with a little smirk on his face. We wonder what he's thinking in that brain of his. He can officially roll both ways now. I put his new quilt down on the floor and just watch him roll as far one way as he can before he decides to roll the other way as far as he can. He just lays there and rolls and is completely happy and content. All he asks from us is that we keep him dry and fed and give him a warm place to sleep. As long as we meet these requests, he is the happiest, most content little guy in the world. Have you ever looked at your baby and wished you could be more like them? I am so demanding. Of course I want to eat and sleep and be able to take a shower, but that doesn't quite cut it for me. I also want internet, cable, dinner out occasionally, new clothes, shoes, crafting supplies, patio furniture. I want a bigger house, a bigger car and more money. I want a maid, I want to be a stay at home mom so I can stay at home some days and wish I had a nice pants suit to put on and a job to wear it to. But I know that if I was at work, I would only wish to be back home again. I want a husband who works hard all day and comes home ready to clean, watch the baby, take out the trash, make me dinner and serve it to me on a golden platter. So maybe some of these requests are a bit extreme and I may have exaggerated a few, but in all reality I feel as though sometimes God may wonder why I am always wanting more. He is saying, "Kathlyn, look at all I have given you, A wonderful husband who takes care of his family and who for the past 2 weeks has been at work at 7am and hasn't returned until 7 or 8pm. I have given you a healthy, beautiful baby boy, a home that meets your needs and wants. I have given you more clothes than you are able to wear and so many crafting supplies that you don't know what to do with all of them. You have a new car thats runs perfectly and you have a great home filled with wonderful things." I guess God must think I enjoy dwelling on what I don't have instead of enjoying all that I do have! I know that I am human with a sinful nature, but today my prayer for myself is that I can look at Caleb and be reminded of how easy it is to please him. How content he is once his needs are met. God has told me that because I have asked him in my heart and because I believe that He died for me, was buried and rose again, I can live forever with Him in Heaven and that while I am here on this earth, He will always, always meet my needs. I will take it one day at a time, but my challenge to myself is that I can be reminded constantly of all I have been blessed with and be content in the joy of the Lord.

Here is my little Caleb rolling around :)

1 comment:

EngineerHousehold6 said...

Being a stay at home mom is a full time job! You're just paid in giggles, kisses, hugs, and first moments.

Yay for rolling over!!! Watch out now mama he's mobile! LOL