Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shhhhhh....


I have been wanting to make one of these for months now. 
 Then, I spotted a cute one on Pinterest and decided it was now or never. 
 I was taking a walk and found some scrap wood my neighbor had thrown out...so I grabbed a piece, knowing it was the perfect shape and size for my sign.


Some of you, especially if you've never experienced the joy of finally getting your baby to sleep, only to have someone ring your doorbell, may think this is rude or extreme.
  But I can almost promise you that if and when you have a newborn and you're so sleep deprived you can't even find the energy or brain function to brush your teeth, when you look at this sign you will literally see glowing halo's all around it.

Okay, maybe not halo's but it will make your heart skip a beat!


I spray painted it aqua (surprise, surprise!) and then I used a circle foam brush to make polka dots.
After that dried, I used a Sharpie oil based paint pen to write my wordage, and just an FYI for all you paint pen folks, I will NEVER use another brand of paint pen again.  
The Sharpie oil based pens are amazing and they go on so smooth and even!
  No shaking or messing up because a big blob came shooting out.  
I can't say enough great things about them.


After that, I hammered in a metal hook to the back and used ribbon to attach it to my door.
Cute and functional...and I dare someone to ring my doorbell when my sign is hanging up! ;-)

Baby update:
Went to doctor this morning for 38 week check up and she said she definitely is seeing some progress!
I went from absolutely ZERO signs of labor last Tuesday to 2cm dilated today, so I'm happy :)
At least baby plans to come out at some point.
Here's my 37 and 38 week belly pics:


We are getting super excited about little baby!
Now, we just need to decide on a girl name since we are fairly sure about the boy name ( I say that reluctantly because it seems as soon as we think we are certain about a name, one of us comes back with another idea...ha!).
I'm off to finish the nursery...hoping to post pics by Friday...I have worked on this nursery for several weeks and I can NOT wait to show you the fruits of my labor...which hopefully will be followed by actual labor ;-)

6 comments:

Karen said...

I love that sign!! I wish that I had one of those when Nora was first born - it would have been SO handy. Can't wait to see the nursery pics :)

Wife, Mama, Teacher said...

Guuuuuurl, there is nothing rude about that sign at all! I need a huge one, about 20'x50', that reads "Shhhh, Baby Sleeping! Please don't rev your car in front of my house like you are at the drag strip! Thank you!"

Coffee Mom said...

That sign is a great idea...I think I may have to make it for one of my best friends who is expecting! When my two were babies I would sometimes just hand write that same note and tape it to the door (having experienced that very same frustration of getting them to sleep only to have them woken up!) - but your idea is WAY cuter!! :)

Expat Girl said...

I love that sign and btw you look adorable, I hope I can look like that by the end of this pregnancy!

Kristan said...

I took a more drastic approach and removed the doorbell from inside my house. It can't ring. I loved this so much I have never reattached it and actually have patched and painted the enormous hole it left. That was almost 8 years ago. ;) your sign is adorable, I hope it works better than my no soliciting signs I hang every spring. (even if the bell doesn't ring, they still knock). Arg...

Aprille said...

I love the sign! Super cute!