Monday, June 1, 2009

I'm not trying to be a hippie but. . .


Growing up, my dad kept a woodstove outside (and still does). This woodstove was special because it provided the heat for our water and house. Taking the trash out meant taking the trash, sorting it, and putting the right trash in the woodstove. My brother still gets to enjoy this lovely task since :) Instant recycling! Since I have gotten married, I have thought and thought about recycling. I didn't want to be a crazy "au natural" lady who doesn't wear deoderant or wash very often though. . . and that is what I associated recycling with (silly, I know). Then it hit me, I feel bad about throwing all of my paper, plastic and aluminum out because I never have before. I recycled without realizing it. Since it has taken me almost 2 years to figure that out, I decided to jump to action! I called my waste management company and got everything figured out for how I can recycle. It does cost me $5.25 a month, but they bring me my very own recycling container and they provide the pick up for it. I will glady pay $5.25 to not have to buy my own bins, sort through everything and take it to the recycling dump. I just put all my recycling items into one bin and voila! So, I guess I am slowly turning into the hippie chick without deoderant. . .or maybe not ;) Bring on the recycling and homemade whatever's. . .but I'm still sticking to deoderant.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I hate that my apartment complex doesn't do recycling, right now I just gather up stuff and take it on post. I can't wait to move on post 'cause they do recycling.

Good for you!

Mommy and Constance said...

I'm with you hun! for some reason after C was born I've just been more green and organic with SOME things, not all. But I get in my head, it's making things better for my daughter and grandkids.

EngineerHousehold6 said...

If you go to the commissary often or the px, they have dumpsters where you can put your recycling. When I lived on post and "had to", I have just always recycled my paper bags I get as my recycling "bins" and separate everything that way. The recycling center on post is maybe a min from the px too.

Just letting you know in case you didn't want to have to pay, you could just bring it out when you go out to do your shopping.