Monday, July 14, 2008

We went exploring





Saturday, Seth and I decided to go see what we could see in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. We drove downtown and tried to go to a coffee shop, which ended up being closed. So we got back in the car and kept driving. The next thing that caught our eye was a huge grave yard. We decided that we would get out and walk around. I don't know if any of you have ever done this before, and to some of you this may sound strange, but it was like a walk into the past. We found this one section that had stairs and a huge stone with the family name on it. We then saw several stones in front of the marker that were flat and the length of the entire body. Each stone had detailed information of the kind of person each was and their name and relation to one another. The families were the Brown's and the Pusey's. We found that several were doctors and several were lawyers. Two little ones were very young when they died and the stone read that they had passed away during the scarlet fever epidemic, which was very sad (and after looking around at several other markers, we realized there were a lot of children that died from scarlet fever). So we read about the Brown-Pusey family and walked away feeling like we knew them a little bit. I told Seth that I was glad we stopped to read about them. I thought if the families saw us reading about their lives, they would have been glad that someone over 100 years later cared to learn about their lives. I told Seth I hope after we died that someone will come and be interested to read about us. So, we then got in the car and headed off to find the Coca Cola museum. Much to our surprise, on our way to the museum, we drive by the Brown-Pusey house! We were shocked. It was crazy that we had just spent 20 minutes or so reading their graves and then we drive by their house! They were obviously very wealthy and important in Elizabethtown and they had hosted for guests such as General Custer. They donated their home to the community and now it is open for all. In fact, it looked like we had just missed a wedding that was in the garden. So after we got over our shock of finding their house and feeling like the Brown-Pusey family was following us around, we found the Coke museum. This was very fun to go through. I have been to the Coke museum in Atlanta, and of course the Schmidt Coca Cola Museum wasn't near as big, but it was just as interesting. At the end we paid 10 cents to get a handmade, old fashioned Cherry Coke! Delicious. I also told Seth that I was never taking him to another museum again though because he read EVERY sign. All ten million of them! He is such a nerd, but a hot nerd I must say. Then Seth told me we could go out for dinner that night, so what nice restaurant did I choose to go to??? Arby's!!!! Hahaha, I really just wanted a roast beef sandwich with curly fries and Arby's sauce... so that's where we went! Our Saturday was a great day, and Sunday we met up with two families down here and went to church and Panera, which was the icing on the cake. I also found out that there is a water park on base here, so if I can get my house cleaned today, I will probably be making a stop there tomorrow!!!

5 comments:

Newmans Wildcats said...

Brown-Pussy.....sounds like you have the Baby's name picked out or at least part of it. Hee Hee

Lisa and Josh said...

LOL! Joey you crack me up!

Clifford Jeffery said...

Sounds fun!!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. You are so funny...and Seth is a hot nerd!!!! I feel the same way about cemeteries. In fact on Fathers day we went to a big cemetery in ATL and we bought the little booklet on all the important people in the grave yard. I left feeling sad and aware that this is our life and once we are gone, very little will care. Then Tim and I started talking about legacy...yadayada!!! Anyway this made me miss you alot!!! I am going to start saving to visit you in CA maybe in Feb or March...since it is slow season of course! :)

EngineerHousehold6 said...

Hey, It's Amanda from the board (we just left Knox). Not sure if you would be interested, but the Brown-Pusey does a Garden Tea party at least once a year. I've never been because I forget to get the date before hand. Also, if you're interested they do a walking "ghost" tour of downtown E-town in the square. There is also a cannon ball in one of the buildings from the civil war. If I remember correctly, an older lady paid a young boy to go find it and when they rebuilt the building they tried to put the cannon ball in roughly the same spot.