Monday, April 14, 2008

The door to door salesmen have returned

This is what I felt like doing yesterday. Thankfully I managed to get around it.

Yesterday, Seth and I were enjoying a quiet Sunday afternoon. Someone knocked on the door and to our surprise, there was a vacuum cleaner salesman standing before us. I don't know why, but Seth decided to let him go ahead and do his demonstration since we had almost 2 hours before he was due at base for Airborne formation. Anyways, long story short, the guy took forever! Not to mention he used a couple of choice words that I didn't appreciate and I was very glad that we didn't have any kids around to hear them. Needless to say we did not buy the $2600 vacuum, although it was enticing seeing as though I had just vacuumed that morning and he still pulled up a lot of dirt from the carpet, but not $2600 worth! Plus, Seth was almost late to formation because we couldn't get the guy out of our house. Finally we told him he had 30 seconds to pack up his stuff, lol. Even though that sounds mean, we managed to say it in a nice enough way that we were all able to leave on good terms, even though Seth was on the verge of furious since it was the second formation of airborne and he really could NOT be late for it. I have never been as grateful for a Sunday afternoon formation as I was yesterday. Last night I was telling Seth how easy it would be to get sucked into all these "unbelievable" offers, because I am easily convinced about practically anything. So far we have managed to dodge an offer for $1600 "extraordinary" pots and pans, $1200 worth of photo's for a modeling agency and now $2600 for a stinky old vacuum (I don't like vacuuming anyways!). What would our finances look like right now had we accepted everyone "once in a lifetime" offer? I really don't think I want to know. All of this to say, don't get sucked in!!! If I can avoid it, you can too! :) By the way, Seth made it to formation on time and was lucky enough to get to drink an entire canteen of powder drink mix that is more potent than Gatorade and missing the sugar. Being the fan of Gatorade that I am (not) I have only one word to describe that. . .Yum :)

2 comments:

Robin said...

It has been so long since we have had a door to door sellsman that I honestly did not think they still existed. I can't believe the guy was there that long. Glad to hear that Seth still managed to make it to his formation on time.

sarah. said...

Haha I didn't even know people still did door to door sales like that! We get a random Jehovah's witness, but that's about it.

And we would love having neighbors in Colorado! So you should definitely come there someday :)