Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Snowbirding anyone?

This is how I felt yesterday trying to figure out what was going on!

So yesterday I met some of the other Officer's wives for lunch. We have all been messaging back and forth for 3 months now, but it was the first time we actually had met each other, which was very exciting. We were talking about our husbands class dates and plans for the summer and fall. Two of the other women's husbands have the same class date as my husband and since graduation is tomorrow and the next class doesnt start for another 6 weeks, I was curious as to what our husbands would be doing in between time. One of the other wives, who is much more experienced in the ways of the Army, told me that her husband was taking leave the first week and then would be snowboarding to his next training location and then would take another week of leave for the 6th week. I thought it was a little strange that her husband wanted to go snowboarding in between all this crazy training, but I didn't say anything. Then I asked her, "Well what do you think my husband will be doing?" She said, "He will probably snowboard to his next training location as well." Okay, so now I was really confused. I wanted to tell her, "My husband doesn't even know how to snowboard! Why would the army let him go snowboarding instead of letting him spend time at home? This is crazy!!!" But something in me stopped my own self from saying anything. So, the conversation continued with more talk of our husbands snowboarding before I realized what she was actually saying was "snowbird." Apparently there is a term in the military called "snowbirding" which means that you go to your next training location and just kind of chill out there (I am sure they do something, but it is pretty laid back compared to normal military training) but unfortunately it is required that you go. After putting the pieces together in my own head without making myself look like a complete ditz, I could only laugh for how silly the whole conversation seemed to be there for a while. You gotta love "new" military life!

3 comments:

Megan said...

uhahaha....funny, thanks for the laugh of the day!

Jenn said...

OK, I totally wouldn't have gotten that one either. In the Air Force we call it "casual status" or something silly like that.

When I lived in Maine we referred to older people who lived in Maine in the summer and Florida in the winter as snowbirds. That's all I could think of the entire time I was reading....

Too funny.

Jenn

Clifford Jeffery said...

That is great!!!! I was thinking the same thing! Isn't he worried about getting hurt?
LOL!!!!!
Kristen