Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pie n' beans


Two must have recipes for me today...and whether you have unreal, life altering cravings like I do right now ...or not, these recipes are delish and EASY!
  I am not a huge fan of cooking so whenever I share a recipe, you better believe it doesn't have many steps or ingredients involved.

Tomato Pie
4 tomatoes
Pre-baked deep dish pie crust
1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese (shredded)
3/4 cup Mayonaise
1 tsp of Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste

This pie is adapted from Paula Deen's Tomato Pie recipe...although her's calls for more cheese, onions and fresh basil leaves.  I normally would love her recipe but I am nauseated right now so strong seasonings and onions are out of the question but if you like your seasonings a bit stronger, I would follow her recipe!  My recipe is great for kids and adults who aren't onion fans, or when you don't have onions and fresh basil on hand :)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel and slice tomatoes and lay in a single layer in a colander to let all excess juice drain from tomatoes (about 10 minutes).  
Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the tomatoes.
Layer the tomatoes in your pre-baked pie crust. 
Mix together the cheese and mayonaise and spread across the top of the tomatoes.  
Sprinkle top with Italian seasoning.
Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.


I am from Virginia and near my home town there is a place called Michie Tavern.  This is where this green bean recipe originated.  My family has been bringing this dish to family reunions and holiday get together's for years and it's always a hit.  I hope it is a hit for your family too!

Michie Tavern Green Beans
2 cans of green beans (I like whole green beans)
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp of ground oregano (or oregano leaves)
1 tsp pepper

Drain beans.  In a shallow dish, combine all the other ingredients.  Add the beans to the mixture and allow to marinate in fridge for at least an hour before serving.  This is a cold green bean salad and it is delicious!  My mom likes her's a lot sweeter than I do, so she adds extra sugar...I love mine nice and vinegary so I add extra vinegar and less sugar...it's all up to you.

If you try either one of these, let me know!
  I am eating both recipes while I type this and they are not only fool proof but I might just eat the entire pie and plate of green beans :)



1 comment:

My Peace Of Food said...

That tomato pie looks delicious, and I know my husband would like it...he hates onions, so your version is a winner!