Sunday, September 19, 2010

Yummy Goodness

For those of you who follow me on twitter, you know that my little man has been fighting an ear infection on top of suffering through an 18 month molar cutting through.  Poor little guy has been pitiful.  We made a trip to the doctor and got him some medicine and he seems to be doing a lot better, thank goodness.  I decided to make him his favorite lunch today, in hopes that he would eat some of it...and it is a hit!  He is sitting in his highchair, eating mac n cheese and watching Mickey Mouse clubhouse.
I am not a huge macaroni and cheese fan but I have invented my own recipe (of which took several tries to perfect!) and I will actually eat some with Caleb.  The best part about it is that is is a very healthy mac n cheese recipe.
I started out by borrowing "Deceptively Delicious" from a friend of mine.  I really love the first part of the cookbook that shows you how to make vegetable purees.  I wanted to make the mac and cheese recipe but after looking at all the ingredients and the way it says to prepare everything, I decided just to use the vege puree and come up with my own recipe.  So here it is...and it is good (if I might say so myself) :)



1/2-3/4 box of whole wheat pasta
1 1/2 C. cheese (I use cheddar)
1 summer squash
1 carrot
2 Tbl. butter
3/4 C of milk
1/4 C. Milled flaxseed (optional, but very good for you!)

Cook and drain pasta.
Cut carrot and squash into small pieces and steam.  If you don't have a steamer, you can use a pot and put a small amount of water in them bottom.  Allow the water to boil, put your veggies in and cover.  This will take about 8-10 minutes to steam and make sure you keep an eye on it because if the water all evaporates, your veggies WILL burn (I know this first hand.)
Puree veggies with a food processor or blender.
Add all of the above ingredients to the cooked pasta, cooking on low until all the butter and cheese has completely melted.
Ta Da! Mac N Cheese is done!  It is super easy, full of vitamins and it makes for a very creamy, rich macaroni and cheese.