Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall Dinner Night

It is definitely fall here in Kentucky. We turned our heat on for the first time yesterday. I love the cool mornings. This is the perfect weather because you get to wear a sweater and leave the coat at home :) If only it would stay this way all winter. And with this weather comes crockpot dinners- this is a great, easy dinner for fall. You really do have to try it. It's called taco soup- but it is more of a stew or chili and if your husband is anything like mine, he will eat a bowl of stew over soup anyday! The thicker the better. A half bowl of this will fill you up and then you can either freeze the rest if you have a small family like ours, or you can eat on it the rest of the week and only make dinner once :) I got this from a wonderful family back home and I will be eating it for the rest of my life!

TACO SOUP WITH BLACK BEANS
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
15 1/4 oz. can corn undrained
15 oz. can black beans undrained
15 1/2 oz. can red kidney beans, undrained
1 envelope dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
1 small onion chopped (I put this with the meat when I am browning it)
tortilla or corn chips
shredded cheese
sour cream

1. combine all ingredients except chips, shredded cheese and sour cream in slow cooker.
2. cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours
3. garnish individual servings with chips, cheese and sour cream

Yummy to my tummy!

3 comments:

Miles Makes 3! said...

Will be trying that!!
Is there anything I can substitute for 1 envelope dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix? Or can I go without?
Not sure if our commy has that and I know the Germans don't. :)

Aimee Mayer said...

Oh if only I liked chili and chili-like foods...

Jen said...

this sounds good.
i'm going to try it!