Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Gradumagation


I don't think I have ever been as full of pride as I was the day of graduation. When we got there, the first thing they did was play an Army Strong video. I don't know if you know the song that plays in the background of all the Army's advertisements, and if I had a microphone I would sing it to you now. But it is just this music that makes you want to start waving a flag and sing the National Anthem. That was the beginning of an emotional day. When I think about the last 3 months of training, most of my thoughts were, "When is he coming home, when does he get a break???" It was easy to become so caught up in when I would see him next that I forgot the whole purpose behind what he was actually doing. Graduation day hit me on the head and woke me up. I remembered why I was okay with spending all those weeks in a new town with just my dog as a buddy. I remembered why I was okay with just seeing my husband one day out of the week, if that. I remembered why it was (eventually) okay when he called on Friday to say that the cadre changed their minds at the last minute and they weren't letting the guys off base this weekend. There were moments of great disappointment and there were times when I was very lonely and missed him but I say all of this to say there is no sacrifice that is too great that I would be unwilling to support him, and for that matter, all of them. Being at graduation reminded me that even though there were plenty of days when I wanted to pack our bags and go back home to live normal lives, the training and the lessons that my husband and I have learned through the Army have been well worth our time apart, and there are many more days like these to come but as Dr. Jerry Falwell always said, we have to count our trials as blessings because without them, we would never be able to grow. I started as a seed in October of 07' and slowly and surely I can feel myself growing. I haven't even popped out of the ground yet, but I can honestly say that I can't wait to, knowing the best part is that Christ will never give us more than we are able to handle.

No comments: